Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Catching up....

Meeting #10
Where: Amanda's apartment 
What: The Master of Disguise by Antonio Mendez
Verdict: cool insight on spy routines, some parts were slow (i.e. the autobiography parts), unclear what the true definition of "rolled up" means...must take a break from non-fiction!

Meeting #9:
Where: Bavaria Bierhaus
What: How to Lose Her by Junot Diaz
Verdict: as told by our newest member, Amanda!

"I liked how real the stories felt, like an autobiography (while I'm pretty sure all the stories were made up). It reminded me of the book All Souls by Michael Patrick McDonald, because the family was so screwed up, yet fit the settings and era perfectly. I liked the chapters about the main character's brother best, but these were also the only short stories that were connected to each other. 

I didn't like how the book was a bit confusing because some chapters consecutively tied together, then all of a sudden there would be a random story about a new character. This was the essence of the short story collection but I think it could have been arranged more clearly. 

Specifically, I did not like the chapter about the woman who worked in the laundry room of the hospital. It was really depressing, showing how hard it is to become anything as a Dominican immigrant in the USA, people don't see their families or babies for years, some give up and go back to DR with nothing to show for their hardship. It also showed how isolating being an immigrant can be, living in a country whose language they can't speak." 

Meeting #8:
Where: Katie's apartment
What: Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham
Verdict: Slightly awkward, mixed feelings, still love Lena, not a great book for book club discussions

Meeting #7:
Where: Jhani's apartment
What: Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
Verdict: WE ALL LOVED IT, depressing but so well written, the mother was an interesting and multi-layered character, lots of interpretations for the meaning behind the changes the girls made in their uncle's painting

No comments:

Post a Comment